Unleash the Potential in You
Counselling / Coaching with Kelly Lei Che, Registered Clinical Counsellor
Who should you choose counselling and coaching?
The simple answer is that it will help you and your significant others to:
- improve physical and mental health.
- solve problems, make changes, or achieve academic, career, and other life goals effectively and efficiently.
- explore the inner self, mission in life, or find true happiness.
- improve quality of life or to help to support and care for others.
Choosing counselling/coaching therapy is a healthy, responsible and intelligent decision. Because your physical and mental health, quality of life are not only important to you, but also affecting that of your families, friends, and others. It shows that you care about yourself and others.
Why choose me as your counsellor / coach?
My focus on counselling/coaching therapy is Now and Future, not your past. I use holistic method to analyze your physical and mental health status, relationship, personal and professional goals to find multiple causes of the issues that you want to change, and advise solutions which fit with your needs and life style.
I have been a Registered Clinical Counsellor in BC since 2010. Born in China, I attended Waseda University in Japan to finish my bachelor’s degree. While studying and working in Japan, I not only learned the Japanese language and culture, I also had first hand experience of culture shock. I had to learn how to adapt and how to adjust and accept my cultural and social identity. I also learned how social and cultural values shape people’s relationships with each other.
On coming to Canada, I took my master’s degree in Counselling Psychology at City University to become a Registered Clinical Counsellor. At the same time, I worked as a teacher, school counselor, educational consultant, and business manager.
While in Canada, I have experienced the following (if you have international living or working experience, you will understand what I mean):
- Cultural shock with local multicultural Canadian communities, social norms, and value beliefs.
- Cultural shock with Chinese people currently live in Canada.
- Cultural shock with Chinese people currently living in China.
Faced with a different language, social and cultural norms, value systems, and a multi-cultural community in Canada, I had to re-adjust my identity and find new balances in my professional, social, and personal life.
I succeeded only with a lot of effort, both of my own and of many people I met and learned from. I have been able to find balance, peace, and satisfaction in my professional, social, and personal life and feel a newer me. I also discovered my mission in life: to provide help and love to our world.
Through my life experience and professional expertise from counselling and coaching, I have developed my own way to customize short-term and long-term solutions or strategies to address root causes of problems efficiently and effectively and ensure you achieve your best possible life.
You, now, future-centered approach
My years of counseling/coaching and life experience have taught me that it is much more effective and efficient to combine counseling and coaching at the same time with the focus on You, Now and Future. There are many theories, approaches and strategies from modern counselling psychology or coaching; however, I have found that no one size fit all as everyone is unique and issues are always complicated. To best help you achieve what you want, I have to work together to develop goals and strategies that work for your physical and mental health status, your relationship status and your personal and professional goals.
Most clients bring issues that they want to change to our therapy sessions. My focus is how to help you find immediate control and solutions to your current issues so you can improve your health and quality of life. I would also work with you to explore strategies on how to prevent the similar issues in the future, so you won’t use the therapy sessions as temporary pain-killer time after time while having the same issues damaging yours and your significant others’ quality of lives. I do analyze what happened in your past when necessary, but my role is mainly focusing on helping you get back to your enjoyable life and relationship as soon as possible.
I would like to help you to strengthen your problem-solving skills so that you can avoid recurring problems in future. I would like you to be aware of what a healthy, well-balanced life looks like. What is missing in your life? How can you feel or achieve what you would like?
I would like you to be confident in your decision-making about your life or the lives of your significant others. I would like you to enjoy rewarding relationships with your family, friends, and working associates.
I would like us to spend time together to help you achieve and maintain a healthy, wealthy, meaningful life. If I feel that I am not equipped with the knowledge or expertise in dealing with any of your issues, then I will be happy to refer you to other professionals who can.
My specialties include marriage counselling, relationship counselling and anger management, and I can also help you in the following areas:
If you are from a Chinese or Japanese language and cultural background, and live in a foreign setting, and you experience:
- Social and professional isolation
- Personal identity confusion or loss
- Low self-esteem
- Oversensitivity to external factors (feeling that you are treated unfairly by other people)
- Feeling challenged and hopeless about yourself, your spouse, your children, or other family members in achieving academic, career, or life goals
- Anxiety or panic attacks
- Depression and suicidal moods or thoughts
- Stress-induced substance abuse (addiction to alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, food, shopping, computer-gaming, sex etc.)
- Loss of appetite or over-eating
- Difficulty in falling asleep or sleeping too much
- Constant worry about your current and future life
- Constant worry about families, friends, and others
- Difficulty in making decisions
- Loss of interest in previously-enjoyed activities
- Loss of trust in yourself and others
- Anger and other self disruptive behaviours from depressive moods or medications or treatment
- Poor family relationships
- Poor social and professional relationships
- Feeling that you are stuck and cannot find the way out
- Feeling that your career, life, and choices and decision-making are controlled by others, not yourself
If you speak English or any other language, and your spouse, children or other family members, friends, co-workers, employees bosses, or clients are from Chinese or Japanese language or cultural backgrounds:
- You have difficulty creating and maintaining a positive relationship with them.
- You find it difficult to communicate or be understood effectively.
- You experience conflict over values, beliefs, parenting, marriage, career and life issues and goals.
- You suffer stress, anxiety, panic, anger, self-disruptive behaviours or suicidal feelings due to inability to resolve issues or improve relationships.
- You have lived and worked in China and Japan as a foreigner, and you experience culture shock on your return to your home country.
If you want to:
- Find and achieve the best-fit academic, career, and life goals
- maintain positive, peaceful, and fulfilling mental attitude regardless of external factors
- find your mission in life
- find the best fit life partner, and maintain positive marital and family relationships
- know how to discuss critical issues in a non-stressful and non-harmful way
Or if you want to improve your skills in:
- management and leadership
- stress and anger management
- time management
- emotional intelligence (EQ)
- self esteem
- physical and mental health
- self trust
- trusting others
- mental strength and resilience
- controlling certain habits or behaviours
Or, you need to help your significant others:
- when they are physically or mentally ill and need your emotional support
- to stop negative thoughts and self-disruptive behaviours
- to change habits or resist substance abuse and addiction such as alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, gambling, shopping, sex, food etc.
- to create and maintain a positive, happy mental attitude and balanced life
- to overcome academic, career, and personal challenges in their lives
- to overcome their challenges without negative effects on yourself.